Thursday 2 September 2010

Ramadan

I got back from the uk to find myself in the middle of Ramadan, the Muslim fasting month. Since I live in a very Chinese/Christian area, the signs of Ramadan are not as noticeable as elsewhere, and it’s still fairly easy to eat and drink during the day.
Indonesia straddles the equator, so the sunrise and sunset times are much the same year round: the sun rises just before 6am, and sets just before 6pm. In order to survive the days fasting, people get up at about 4am, eat (something filling presumably) and go back to bed. They then fast (no food, drink, cigarettes or sex) during the day, before breaking fast at sunset. There are various traditional foods they eat at this time, they are typically sweet, and include such things like es buah (a sort of chilled fruit soup) and kolak, which is a mix of palm sugar, coconut milk and various fruits.  

I wanted to try fasting, so in preparation I tried a mini fast, getting up at about 10am, drinking a cup of coffee, a few glasses of water, and eating some not very filling instant noodles, and then ‘fasting’ with everyone else. The result: I’ve been getting pretty damn hungry and thirsty, and my energy levels have been low, especially around lunch time. The Muslims at work who I told about my attempts were pretty scornful, they all seemed to think their full days fasting complete with exercise and work or study was a much worthier endeavour.

This week I have fasted for two non consecutive days. Both times I got up at 5ish, ate a load of bready food, drank as much water as I could stomach and went back to bed. Both times I drank too much water, meaning I kept having to go the toilet, pissing away all my valuable hydration.
The days seemed to pass in a haze of tiredness. I couldn’t have my morning coffee, and energy levels remained low thanks to a lack of food. I would imagine I was more irritable than usual, especially since the school is full of braying morons. Although I was hungry all day, it was the thirst that was harder to bear, though with both I reached a level, and didn’t really get any worse from there. Fasting is boring, getting things to eat and drink during the day gives you variety and something to do. I also really enjoy eating, not much of a revelation in itself, but when you don’t eat for a day, you really miss it.
Breaking fast is very pleasant, there is a wonderful period of anticipation leading up to the sunset, a spirit of togetherness and solidarity between the fasters, and the first drink (hot sweet tea traditionally) is a delicious relief. 

No comments:

Post a Comment