Thursday 22 July 2010

The Burping Masseuse

One of my little pleasures in Jakarta is going for a massage. I don’t go to a seedy, happy ending type of place, but to a clean and professional establishment, where for £6/hour you can enjoy massages ranging from a Japanese shiatsu to the gentler Javanese style. The shiatsu massages are wonderful, they involve the masseuse climbing onto the table, and walking over your back, clicking your joints with her toes. I didn’t really know what I had asked for the first time, so was quite surprised when I found myself lying helplessly on the table with someone standing on my neck. Another trick is when they rub their feet quickly the length of your body, in effect surfing your back before they shoot of the end of the table. It’s all very nice, but I’ve found I have simple tastes: whether it’s my feet being massaged, the palms of my hands, or strangely, my ears, but the most notable thing is that the masseuses spend the whole time burping! The first time was incongruous, I thought that maybe she had had too many fizzy drinks before starting. But no, it seems to be an occupational hazard; every massage I’ve had, the masseuse has burped several times, so much so that I don’t really notice it any more. I don’t have an explanation for this, I can only guess that I may be something to do with the pressure they are exerting. 

2 comments:

  1. the next time you wanna get a massage, make sure you take earplugs with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They say it's the masseuse's way of absorbing extra "air/wind" from your body and she's getting rid of it from her own body. Not sure if it's all hocus pocus, but that's their reasoning.

    ReplyDelete