Wednesday 7 July 2010

On loan

For the last couple of weeks I have been working at another branch of my schools franchise; it was quite novel at first, a chance to see a different area and how other schools do things, and to meet some new people. Unfortunately two hours a day sitting in traffic tends to kill the enthusiasm. The school itself is very similar, although certain systems and ideas are better implemented. The kids also seem to be better behaved: blackberry use is amazingly low, they all bring in their own pens and books, and actually queue at the door at the end of the lesson to be let out.  However, the teacher’s morale seems to be just as low as it is at my school. This is apparently a result of the school’s penny pinching, lack of flexibility and refusal to make any concessions regarding teacher well being, confirming that it is the franchise that is a rapacious profit machine, and not just my school. 

1 comment:

  1. EF here has been great so far. For example, I want to go away adventuring with the neighbours and some journalists next weekend so I mentioned that to my boss and she has made my schedule so that I get my full complement of hours before the weekend so I can go! Works in her favour as well, as it makes me want to be a dedicated worker!

    And they let the EF driver, Yanto, pick me up and take me to school and home after, via the shop if I need to. At some point I'll have to use the angkot instead or my bike but it's not far (10-15 min bike ride) so that's ok. Am enjoying being able to use Yanto though, as on the journey to and from EF, I practice my bahasa with him and he teaches me extra snippets, he's really nice. One of the teachers, Nani, lives with me and is super nice and helpful. And the boss is going to help me sort out a bank account too, need to remind her about that I had forgotten as well.

    I think because it's harder for Lampung to attract bule than it is for Jakarta, the treatment is very good. So far I can't fault it. Sure it might dwindle as time passes but the people are so nice, it makes up for a lot anyway! :-)

    The only thing I am finding slightly annoying is after having had my own summer fun class, I have to go back to team teaching for two weeks before I get my own classes when the next cycle starts. It's already cramping my style in the preparation phases! Still, soon I'll have my own classes and just be able to get on with teaching rather than jumping through hoops...

    ReplyDelete