Wednesday 30 June 2010

Recent happenings

I have finally got my UK phone unlocked, so I can use it with my Indonesian SIM card. This has allowed me to finally take part in authentic modern Jakartan culture. I went to the mall, hung out, and fucked about on my flashy hand phone while watching other people buy stuff. Brilliant.

I have been working Saturdays for the past month. It’s a pain in the arse because as well as starting at 930 on Saturday morning, its four hours long. I’ve been going out all day afterwards, meaning I’m tired all day Sunday, and then straight back to work on the Monday. It seems as if I’m never away from the school. The Saturday class is business English, so they are much more motivated and mature than my normal students; I can actually talk and have an intelligent discussion with them - a marked difference from my normal classes of hyperactive eight year olds or stroppy monosyllabic teenagers.

What’s worse is I am now embroiled in what my school calls ‘Summer Fun’. It means I have to start work at 10am everyday and work until 7ish, in addition to working on Saturday. I have it quite easy though, other teachers start at 10 and work until 9 in the evening. The class I teach in the morning is a “conversation” class. While I have nothing against conversation classes per se, I don’t like the way my school sets them up. The classes are too big, it is not possible to have a ten person conversation, and some of the students are too low a level. If you can’t (or won’t) ask and answer simple questions you have no place in a conversation class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment